At The Ryan Company, Inc. (Ryan), we recognize the importance of safeguarding the environment wherever we conduct business. All employees, subcontractors and subconsultants are expected to comply with the company’s guiding principles and serve as good corporate citizens by:
- Conducting business operations in a way that demonstrates respect for the environment
- Responding quickly and effectively to environmental incidents involving company facilities or equipment.
- Assisting clients with their environmental control procedures and directives when working on their properties.
- Promoting good environmental attitudes by training employees in sound environmental management.
Policies in Practice
Quanta sets meaningful goals for environmental performance on each project that are measurable and monitor progress against these goals with the aim of achieving continuous improvement. Our companywide environmental policies and regulations help us comply with laws pertaining to sensitive areas. These areas include animals, insect and reptile habitats, horticultural environments, archaeological sites and geological studies. These policies also include the proper maintenance and disposal of equipment, hazardous material and debris resulting from the installation or removal of equipment.
Reducing Energy Consumption
Ryan is committed to reducing energy consumption in its facilities and has invested in infrastructure improvements and modifications to become more energy efficient. Our buildings are equipped with computer controlled heating and cooling systems to maximize energy savings. These systems provide energy efficient temperature control that greatly reduces energy use while the buildings are unoccupied. Low energy fixtures and ballasts and motion sensing light controls further minimize energy demands. And through power of example, Quanta encourages employees to become increasingly aware of their energy consumption and take a proactive approach in minimizing their environmental impacts.
We encourage our employees – whether they work in the field or in the offices that support our crews – to help protect the environment, through the following:
- Recycling aluminum, plastic, cardboard and paper
- Purchasing and using Energy Star equipment
- Using occupancy light sensors in low traffic office areas
- Refurbishing/reissuing computer equipment and recycling printer ink cartridges
- Having an outside vendor recycle and remove florescent lamps
- Reducing energy usage by programming thermostats for office hours
- Adapted electronic product management system to ensure that electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, are recycled
- Verify that the heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration ducts and equipment are cleaned out and maintained, including replacing the filters, in order to improve system performance and prevent air-borne pollutants, viruses and allergens
Ryan operates in many types of environments, which means we understand not only the broad-based importance of water conservation, but also encounter the reality of water shortages in many of our operating locations. We are always looking for ways to conserve water at our offices and project sites. One example is the use of low-flow plumbing fixtures in our offices. We also avoid washing/spraying down company driveways, parking lots or buildings during droughts.